Phone: 407-839-1364
Areas & Topics

Relocation Archives

Co-parents: What if a better life awaits in another state?

Sometimes, a change in location is just the thing you need to radically transform your life -- and the life of your child. Maybe you're in Florida, and your career specialty doesn't have any opportunities here. Maybe you received a once-in-a-lifetime job opportunity that will pay you so much more income that it will improve the kind of life you can provide for your kids.

Defending against a child relocation request

Imagine you are the noncustodial parent and you only get to see your child for a couple of days, every other week. The time that passes in-between each visit is an agony. Now imagine that your ex-spouse wants to move away to another state, so you will virtually never get to see your son or daughter -- except for holidays and certain weeks during the summer each year. If your ex is trying to relocate with your child, you might be able to defend against the move.

3 times when single parents can relocate with a child

Maybe you received an excellent job offer from a new employer 300 miles away. Maybe you want to move to a new state to be closer to your family members who can help you raise your child. If the other parent of your child doesn't agree with the move, it's possible you'll be out of luck.

The possible implications of relocating with your child

If you are a single parent or if you are no longer in a relationship with the other parent of your child, it is likely that you will sometimes find that life decisions are made difficult by the other parent. You might feel that the other parent puts limits on your freedom and on what you can do with your child.

Figuring out where to live after a divorce

If you are going through a divorce or separation and children are involved, it is likely that it means that you and your former partner need to work together to figure out how you will co-parent in the future. If one or neither of you is from the state in which you currently reside, one of you may express the desire to relocate. However. relocating can have a big impact on child visitation, and it can have an impact on the relationship that you have with your former partner.

How to explain relocation to a child

Going through a child custody battle is never easy. It is even more difficult on the children. Once it is done, all parties can begin to recover and live life. But, what if you need to relocate with your child for a new job? If you have custody of the child, you should find out what is legal and what is not when it comes to relocating during a custody arrangement. Here are some tips for explaining relocation to your child in Florida.


Mercedes R. Wechsler, P.A.
1212 E. Ridgewood Street
Orlando, FL 32803

Phone: 407-440-0878
Fax: 407-839-0263
Map & Directions