Skilled And Personalized Family Law Services

Rights of Out-of-State Parents


Florida Family Law Attorney Helping Protect the Rights of Out-of-State Parents

Moving has become easier and more frequent in this day and age. Whether it’s for a new job, to escape or seek out a particular climate or just for a fresh start, moving to another state or country is increasingly common. However, if you are a divorced parent and want to move, there are rights of out-of-state parents that need to be protected.

At Mercedes A. Wechsler, P.A., we are here to help you negotiate a new move to make sure it encompasses any family law issues that will be affected. We will help you deal with these matters in a way that preserves your relationships with your children and former spouse so that the move can happen easily and amicably. Contact us today to see how we can protect your rights as an out-of-state parent.

If you are relocating or have moved, we can help you make modifications to any type of agreement including:

We can help preserve the rights of out-of-state parents by using our strong negotiation skills when it comes to modifying or drafting new agreements by working closely with opposing counsel and your former spouse to come to an arrangement that everyone agrees to. We will also aggressively argue on your behalf to convince a judge that these changes are in the best interest of the child and should be approved and ordered by the court.

Our lawyers protect not only the rights of out-of-state parents, but parents who reside internationally as well. International divorces are not only subject to the laws of the party residing in Florida, but there are international laws and policies that apply as well.

If one spouse is petitioning to move abroad, there are laws that govern the process under the Hague Convention. When children are involved, the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act (UCCJA), the Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act (PKPA) and the International Child Abduction Remedies Act (ICARA) may have to be consulted to make sure child custody issues are settled appropriately before the move takes place so you are not accused of parental kidnapping later on.

No matter where you are moving, you should consult with our attorneys before you make any decisions or an actual relocation if you have not already moved. We are here to help you, to protect the rights of out-of-state parents, and to make sure the court approves of a change so that you are not cited for contempt later for violating an existing agreement that has not been changed to reflect these new circumstances. Contact us today so we can work with you to protect rights as an out-of-state parent.