Skilled And Personalized Family Law Services

What to do if you wish to transfer a divorce abroad

by | Jul 15, 2015 | Firm News, High Asset Divorce |

Moving abroad can be a confusing and complex situation. It can be even more difficult if someone has gotten a divorce in their home country and do not know anything about the divorce laws in the U.S. They may be wondering whether or not their divorce will even still be valid on foreign soil.

There are a number of steps that need to be taken in order for a foreign divorce to be considered valid in the U.S. The Department of State says that an immigrant must have proof of the marriage and divorce. This includes copies of official paperwork, such as the foreign marriage certificate and the divorce decree. There should also be the inclusion of a copy of the foreign divorce law, for ease of reading on the part of those who are examining the files. Any questions that an immigrant may have about the necessary documents or the transfer process can be directed at the Attorney General of the state they are intending to move for.

Getting a divorce abroad does not mean that the divorce will break apart as soon as a person moves to the U.S. If the question is “will a foreign divorce can be left intact after a move”, the Bureau of Consular Affairs states that the short answer is “yes”. However, it is best for the immigrant who intends to move to check with the state that they are planning on moving to. The longer, more detailed answer to this question may vary from state to state, so knowing the individual state law is important.

Once a person is aware of the national and state-wide divorce laws, it will be easier for them to decide whether or not a move will be right for them.