Phone: 407-839-1364
Areas & Topics

December 2018 Archives

Parenting provisions: How to address drugs, alcohol and tobacco

If you're like most parents, you probably don't want your children exposed to excessive drinking, marijuana use or drug use by adults and others who are around them. You might not even want your children exposed to excessive tobacco smoking. This is perfectly understandable and responsible. However, if your ex-spouse has a history of substance abuse, the problem of exposure to intoxicants and intoxicated people could be a very real concern.

Important considerations about the new alimony tax laws

Now that 2019 is here, new laws regarding alimony are taking effect. If you or someone you know has already been through a divorce in the past, you cannot rely on that experience to help you through one now. The alimony tax rules are different for the first time in over seven decades. Alimony payments are no longer deductible for the payer or taxable for the recipient.

Defending against a child relocation request

Imagine you are the noncustodial parent and you only get to see your child for a couple of days, every other week. The time that passes in-between each visit is an agony. Now imagine that your ex-spouse wants to move away to another state, so you will virtually never get to see your son or daughter -- except for holidays and certain weeks during the summer each year. If your ex is trying to relocate with your child, you might be able to defend against the move.

Did your relationship sour because of a lack of intimacy?

Marriages end in divorce for an infinite number of reasons and it's usually impossible to precisely put your finger on the exact cause of a particular divorce. That being said, marriages often follow a slow period of decline that progresses from unresolved conflicts to emotional disengagement to decreasing levels of affection to a complete cessation of intimate, sexual contact.

3 times when single parents can relocate with a child

Maybe you received an excellent job offer from a new employer 300 miles away. Maybe you want to move to a new state to be closer to your family members who can help you raise your child. If the other parent of your child doesn't agree with the move, it's possible you'll be out of luck.


Mercedes R. Wechsler, P.A.
1212 E. Ridgewood Street
Orlando, FL 32803

Phone: 407-440-0878
Fax: 407-839-0263
Map & Directions