Skilled And Personalized Family Law Services

Do you want to relocate to another state with your child?

by | Apr 7, 2017 | Firm News, Relocation |

Let’s imagine that you received the most important job offer of your life. You’ll have more responsibility, double your income and have a lot of chance for advancement. The problem is, the job opportunity is in Atlanta and you live in Orlando with your son, who has to spend half the time with his father each week.

You know that the opportunity will help you and your son live a much better life, but your child custody agreement prevents you from moving to another state. What should you do? Is there a way to legally gain permission to relocate with your son?

To relocate, you’ll need to obtain the approval of a Florida family law court. In some cases, you might be able to get your relocation granted. Here are the two most common situations in which a Florida court will grant such a move:

— If you’ve received a new job offer out of state.

— If you’re a custodial parent, you’ve remarried and you need to move to another state with your spouse.

To get the relocation you desire, you’ll need to apply for it as soon as possible. There aren’t any guarantees that a parent will receive the relocation permission that he or she desires, but if you complete all the necessary legal processes appropriately the first time around, it will definitely speed this process up for you. You should, however, prepare to be patient.

At the law offices of Mercedes R. Wechsler, PA, we handle all manner of child custody related legal proceedings on behalf of Florida parents. If you wish to obtain permission to relocate to another state with your child, our office is available to help.